Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Week #9, Thing #20 YouTube

YouTube is a fun site and has now become synonymous with pop culture in the U.S. and all over the world. I rarely find time to browse YouTube because I am quite busy at work and when I get home I have a tediously slow Internet connection. STill, whenever I have had the opportunity, I always find the site full of engagingly giggly gems and tidbits that are highly entertaining and that I just want to share. How do people find the time to come up with this stuff??

I watched several videos -- "Introduction to the Book," "Adventures of Super Librarian," UHF Conan the Librarian," March of the Librarians" and more. All were humorous and enjoyable and chosen because librarians are often misunderstood in our society and have too many stereotypical characteristics that are fun to see parodied.

My main problem with YouTube is that my school and district's technology staff will not allow YouTube to be accessed through the school's network. I have used TeacherTube items at school, but there is not the selection of topics that can be found on YouTube as of yet. I would like to link from my school library blog (eventually) so students could access some of the videos I have found so entertaining. I think "seeing is believing" and "a picture is worth a thousand words." Students love to learn when humor is involved, so this is a great way to make a connection with them and teach a lesson or two in the process.

No comments: